What Is Hydroseeding?
Hydroseeding is the process of broadcasting a mixture or “slurry” of seed, fertilizer, tackifier (glue), and mulch onto a prepared area of bare ground or thin declining lawn in which you desire lush lawn to grow and fill in quickly. It is sometimes used as an erosion control, for commercial or construction sites, or in residential settings to quickly establish or repair a lawn. Hydroseeding is a much more effective alternative to the traditional broadcasting or seed sowing process. Unlike traditional seeding methods, Hydroseeding should always be done by a qualified contractor.
Why Should I Hydroseed?
There are many advantages to Hydroseeding over making a traditional lawn but the main reasons are quality, uniformity, and germination. In commercial settings, the roots of established grass will hold soil and the grass will slow rapid running rain water on embankments making Hydroseeding an ideal option for erosion control. The mulch within the slurry mixture helps hold seed in place and maintain moisture until the lawn establishes. In residential settings, Hydroseed is used to establish premium lawns. Premium seeds can take longer to germinate and fill in. Submerging the seed into the mixture will significantly cut down on germination time by beginning to crack open the outer layer. Hydroseeding is also great for blending different types and strains of seed and getting a uniform lawn due to the thorough mixing process. Blended lawns do best in our area because of the vast climate differences of summer, winter and periods of drought.
Key Benefits To Hydroseeding:
- Rapid and consistent high rate of germination for premium lawn seed.
- Able to mix fertilizer, seed, and soil stimulants into one mixture for optimum results
- Uniform application and growth free from ugly patches
- Easily cover hills and uneven ground
- Great for erosion control
- Works for new lawns or lawn repair
- Establishes in far less time than traditional seed planting
- Cost effective for large and small areas